Today is Independence Day in Jamaica
| Plumb Point Lighthouse, |
via Wikimedia Commons
- The land mass we call Jamaica is actually the third largest island in the Greater Antilles.
- Kingston boasts the seventh largest natural harbor in the world.
- Not surprisingly, rum is the national drink.
- Reggae music originated there in the 1960's.
- The movie Cool Runnings, about a Jamaican bobsled team that had no snow to train on, yet made it to the Olympics is actually based on fact.
- Last year on August 6, 20125, one U.S. dollar was worth about 86 Jamaican dollars. This year, it would be worth about 99.
- That right now, means their $20.00 coin (yes, there is one) is roughly equivalent to an American nickel.