Sunday, October 25, 2009

Queen Elizabeth, WWII Troop Carrier

I couldn't help feeling quite a few twinges as I listed for sale a piece of ocean liner memorabilia that is alot more than just a cruise memory. It's an old post card picturing the venerable r.m.s. Queen Elizabeth on war service.


Cunard White Star Post Card - Superliner Queen Elizabeth on war service

I had actually purchased this card for my personal collection. But, as I thought about it, I realized that it's too special for me to keep. Born the year after the Queen completed her war service, I have no personal connection with her greatness or that of the men she carried. But, others DO. I hope one of them will find it among the Cunard Mementos on my site... Maybe it will end up as a small Christmas or Hannukah gift to someone who rode aboard her - or was close to someone who did.

I wonder what it must have been like for the brave souls who sailed off during the early 1940's aboard the famous ship repainted in battleship gray. And, though I don't even know their names, I'm indebted to them.

1 Comment:

Kidz Books said...

We are indebted to them. They were the Greatest Generation.